Overview Africa Magic Viewers' Choice Awards
- The AMVCA is an acknowledgement and celebration of the contribution made by Pan African filmmakers, actors and technicians to the success of the continent’s film & television industries.
- The AMVCA will honour the rich entrepreneurial and creative spirit of the African filmmaker.
- Winners will receive the prestigious AMVCA trophy.
- The AMVCA will endeavour to cultivate and inspire new talent within the various Pan African industries through its development programmes.
- The AMVCA will take place in Lagos, Nigeria on September 1st 2018.
Submission Terms & Conditions
- By submitting an entry, the entrant agrees to accept the terms and conditions as set out in the submission form. Furthermore the entrant agrees to abide by the decisions of the AMVCA Executive Committee, the Executive Judge and Judging Panels. The entrant also warrants that the project is eligible for entry and that they have read and understood the terms and conditions for entry as set out in the guidelines.
- Films, made-for-television movies or television series previously entered or nominated for an award; or awarded a prize in another film and television competition are eligible to be entered for the AMVCA.
- All films, made-for-television movies or television series are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they broadcast or publically screened during the period October 1st, 2016 to March 31st, 2018.
- Films, made-for-television movies or television series may be entered by individual filmmakers/producers, production companies, distributors or duly authorised representatives for the film, made-for- television movie or television series.
- You will be required to attach a typed full screen credit list as part of the online submission process. In the case of a television series, the submission must specify which episode the cast member appears in and/or crew member has worked on. In the event where the names provided on the submission form differ from the credit list; please note that the credit list information will be used to determine the entrant.
- Submissions may not differ from the exhibited or broadcast master. If the content is altered in any way the submission may be disqualified.
- In the case where an authorised representative, agent, manager, or production company facilitates the entry by completing the online submission form on behalf of an individual, the individual will be considered the eligible entrant.
- The entrant certifies that listed individuals have given permission for their entry, and that they have been provided with relevant information relating to the AMVCA as it pertains to them individually.
- Contact details of all individual entrants must be provided to aid in notifying category nominees of event details and other related awards communication.
- The entrant further agrees that should they be nominated in any one of the categories, that they shall either attend the gala awards event in person or ensure that a suitable representative is in attendance on their behalf at the gala event/s to be held in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Indigenous Language Categories refers to Hausa, Igbo, Swahili or Yoruba. No other languages will be accepted at this stage.
- Indigenous Language Films, made-for-television movies or television series may only submit projects for consideration in the Indigenous Language categories, no other category submissions will be accepted.
- The Best Short Film or Online Video category is open for short format original content created specifically for Cinema, Broadcast or use on Websites, Interactive Media, and for Mobile & App platform audiences.
- Best Short Film or Online Videos are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they were broadcast or publically screen between October 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2018.
- Submissions can be sent by digital file delivery or physical copies to either of the following offices:
Attention: Hadizat Ibrahim
Africa Magic Studio
4 Industrial Street,
Off Town Planning way,
Ref #: (Please quote your unique reference code)
Attention: Buhle Ngcauzele
137 Bram Fischer Drive
Ref #: (Please quote your unique reference code)
Attention: Margaret Mathore
2nd floor, M-Net Offices
Local Production studio
Jamhuri Grounds off Ngong Road
Ref #: (Please quote your unique reference code)
- Call for submission:
Opens: 1st March 2018
Closes: 30th April 2018
- Only fully executed online submissions with a reference video clip of 2-3 minutes will be accepted.
- Unique reference numbers will be allocated to each completed online submissions. All further correspondence will require the corresponding reference number to be inserted.
- Once you have received the unique reference number you will be required to send a hard drive or a digital file containing the submitted project. Please quote your reference number on the submission package.
- For submission requirements, digital file delivery process and details please log onto www.africamagic.tv/AMVCA
- All films, made-for-television movies or television series are eligible for entry to the AMVCA if they had been produced and broadcast or publically exhibited during the period October 1st, 2016 to March 31st, 2018.
- All entries must be submitted for judging exactly as presented during public exhibition or broadcast. No modifications may be made for purposes of the awards.
- The AMVCA Nominees will be announced on a later date which will be communicated.
- The category winners will be announced at the AMVCA gala event in Lagos on the 1st September 2018.
- Any submitted drives must be clearly labelled with the movie title and producer's contact details and can be collected 1 month after the nominees' announcement from the following address: MSS Local Productions, 4 Industrial Street, Off Town Planning Way, Ilupeju, Lagos.
- For online submission support please consult the website www.africamagic.tv/AMVCA
The Judging Panel and Process
- The AMVCA Executive Committee will appoint the Executive Judge.
- The Judging Panels (for Round One and Round Two) will be selected by the AMVCA Executive Committee and the Executive Judge. The Judges will be selected from a wide group of media professionals. The Judges will be recognized experts in their respective fields.
- The AMVCA Executive committee will oversee the shortlisting process based on the submission criteria. Only the shortlisted entries will be submitted to the Executive Judge and the Judges.
- Round One
- The judging panel will determine which entries qualify for voting and Round Two judging (nominees).
- The Nominees will be submitted to Round Two of the judging process. There is a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 Nominees per category.
- Round Two
- Judging: The judging panel will determine which Nominees are chosen as category winner/s.
- Viewers: Viewers will vote to determine the winners of categories 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19. Please refer to "Voting Procedure" for more information on the voting process.
- Round One
- All entries will be assessed for correctness and completeness. Entries failing to meet any of the submission requirements will be rejected outright.
- Only correctly completed entries, with unique reference numbers will be reviewed by the judging panel.
- Films, made-for-television movies or television series produced in Africa and/or by Africans in the diaspora are eligible for submission.
- The Judges’ decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered.
- Results will be audited by the AMVCA appointed auditors.
- The judging panel for Round One will determine the Nominees for categories 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19. Thereafter the names of the Nominees and their individual categories will be posted on the AMVCA website for viewers to vote for their winner.
- Viewers will cast their vote via available platforms which will include Website, Mobile site and SMS to determine select category winners.
- Viewers may vote from any country on the African continent.
- Vote numbers, rules, regulations and procedures will be made available on the AMVCA website at www.africamagic.tv/AMVCA
- Results will be verified by the AMVCA appointed auditors.
- Each confirmed online entry with an allocated unique reference number must submit a digital file (as per the delivery specifications provided in the website) or a hard drive of the Master film, made-for-television movie or television series (exactly as was exhibited or broadcast.) Please note digital delivery submission will require strong Internet connectivity and data use/availability is at entrant's cost.
- Films and made-for-television movies should be between 60 - 120 minutes in duration. Television series should be 30 – 60 minutes in duration.
- Short Film or Online Video submissions may not exceed 30 minutes in duration. Any duration under 30 minutes will qualify as a Short Film or Online Video submission.
- Short Film or Online Video entries will only be accepted in that specific category and should not be entered for any other category
- One neatly typed post production script (as was screened or broadcast). The script should be in Size 12 Times New Roman font and stapled in the top left corner.
- A neatly typed Cast and Crew credit list (as was screened or broadcast). The credit list should be Size 12 Times New Roman font.
- If the submission relates to a television series (drama or comedy) then the submission must provide detail with regards to the episode number as well as the cast and crew pertaining to the specific entry. Please provide photos for actor/actress category.
- Any entry that does not comply with the online submission requirements will be disqualified and no correspondence will be entered.
- The entrant needs to ensure that the film copies are of a high visual and audio quality so as not to risk disqualification.
- Provide copies without any branding or watermarks as it hampers the judging process. Watermarked content risks disqualification.
- Quoting your unique reference number, send a hard drive or a digital file of the submitted Film or TV series.
|1||Best Movie (Drama/Comedy) Southern Africa||X|
|2||Best Movie (Drama/Comedy) East Africa||X|
|3||Best Movie (Drama/Comedy) West Africa||X|
|4||Best Overall Movie 2018 (Africa)||X|
|5||Best Television Series (Drama/Comedy)||X|
|Best Indigenous Language (Movie/TV Series)|
|6||- Best Swahili||X|
|7||- Best Yoruba||X|
|8||- Best Hausa||X|
|9||- Best Igbo||X|
|10||Best Director (Movie)||X|
|11||Best Writer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|12||Best Actor in a Comedy (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|13||Best Actor in a Drama (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|14||Best Actress in a Comedy (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|15||Best Actress in a Drama (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|16||Best Supporting Actor (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|17||Best Supporting Actress (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|18||Best Cinematographer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|19||Best Short Film or Online Video||X|
|21||Best Art Director (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|22||Best Costume Designer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|23||Best Lighting Designer (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|24||Best Picture Editor (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|25||Best Sound Editor (Movie/TV Series)||X|
|26||Best Sound Track (Movie/TV Series)||X|